Casual Vacancies

If a vacancy arises on the town council, due to an existing councillor’s resignation, disqualification or death, there is a process to fill the vacancy.

Process to fill a vacancy

  • The town council will notify the Returning Officer of the vacancy. The Returning Officer, is appointed by the local authority to manage and deliver the registration service.
  • The Returning Officer will send the town council a Notice of Vacancy, which they have a duty to display for 14-working days, informing residents about the vacancy.
Two casual vacancies for Bromyard West MUST be filled by election.

  1. Nomination papers can be download via the link below, from the offices of the Returning Officer at Electoral Services Town Hall, St Owen Street, Hereford, HR1 2PJ or on request to www.herefordshire.gov.uk/forthcomingelections
  2. The Returning Officer will, at the request of an elector for any electoral area, prepare a nomination paper for signature.
  3. Nomination papers must be hand-delivered to the Returning Office, as per above address, between 10am and 4pm on any working day after the date of publication of this notice (excluding bank holidays) but no later than 4pm on Thursday, 27th May 2021.
  4. If the election is contested, the poll will take place on Thursday, 24th June 2021.
  5. Applications to register to vote must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Electoral
    Services, Town Hall, St Owen Street, Hereford, HR1 2PJ, by 12 midnight on Tuesday, 8th June 2021. Applications can be made online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Three casual vacancies will be filled by co-option at the next scheduled meeting of the Full Council on Monday 28th June, 2021. (Date to be confirmed)

If you would like to be considered for co-option as a Councillor for the remainder of the 2019-2023 term, please complete the application form below and return to the Town Clerk no later than noon on Tuesday 22nd June, 2021.











Notice is hereby given that a casual vacancy has arisen in the Office of Councillor for the Parish of Bromyard East, following the resignation of Roger William Page.

An election to fill the vacancy shall be held if within fourteen days* (no later than Thursday, 10th June 2021) has been given in accordance with section 87(2) of the Local Government Act 1972, notice in writing of a request for such an election has been given to the proper officer of the council of the district within which the Parish Ward is situate by TEN electors for the Parish Ward. If a request for an election is not received by the above deadline then Bromyard and Winslow will co-opt a person to fill the vacancy as soon as practicable in accordance with the Local Elections (Parishes and Communities) Rules 1986.

If there is an election, it will take place not later than Thursday, 12th August 2021.

If an election is not called then Herefordshire Council will notify the town council and they can choose to fill the vacancy by co-option.